- Port Stephens mayor removes his name from Raymond Terrace domestic violence refuge.
- NSW Nationals leader Troy Grant steps down following Orange byelection resultsVideo
- Troy Grant steps down as Nationals leader
- Newcastle Jets: Devante Clut pushing for A-League starting spot
- Katy Perry donates $13k to Planned Parenthood in wake of Trump election win
Monthly Archives: June 2019
Emirates is the largest customer for the Airbus A380.Emirates has become the first airline in the world to only operate Airbus A380 superjumbos and long-range Boeing 777s in its passenger fleet.
The Middle East carrier recently retired its last remaining Airbus A330 and A340 planes from active service.
Emirates retired its last A330, registered A6-EAK after 14 years of service. The plane flew more than 60,000 hours and 45 million kilometres during that time.
Emirates’ A380s and 777s are relatively new planes with similar interiors, both feature a 3-4-3 layout in economy class. This means passengers on the narrower 777s get one inch (2.54 centimetres) less width for their seats. Seat pitch (legroom) varies from 32 inches to 34 inches on both aircraft types, depending on the location of the seat.
See: Airline review – Emirates A380 economy class
The airline recently announced it would start flying the world’s shortest A380 route from December, a 379-kilometre hop from Dubai to Doha, Qatar. The A380’s maximum range is more than 15,000 kilometres.
Emirates is the largest operator of the Airbus A380 and Boeing 777 aircraft with 85 Airbus A380s and 160 Boeing 777s in its fleet. The airline has 150 orders on its books for the new Boeing 777X aircraft. It’s is due to take delivery of its first 777X in 2020.
The new version of the 777 is designed to compete with Airbus’ A350. Boeing says the plane will be the largest and most efficient twin engine jet in the world. The interiors will feature some elements taken from the company’s 787 Dreamliners, including larger windows and mood lighting.
Emirates has grown rapidly over the past decade and in 2016 alone has taken delivery of 36 new aircraft – 20 Airbus A380s and 16 Boeing 777. However, the election of Donald Trump in the US may curb the carrier’s ambitions in North America.
The US aviation industry has been lobbying the federal government for some time about the influx of Middle-Eastern carriers – specifically Emirates, Etihad and Qatar – into the American market. The industry argues these carriers receive billions in unfair subsidies from their respective governments.
See also: Direct Australia-London flights are just around the corner
See also: Cathay Pacific’s last 747 jumbo jet makes final flight
Follow the writer on Twitter and Instagram.
Some of Australia’s leading IVF clinics have been caught advertising false or misleading information about their success rates in what the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has described as a “race to the bottom” targeting vulnerable people.
On Monday, the ACCC said “several major IVF clinics” and some smaller ones had been asked to change claims on their websites following an investigation into the increasingly competitive and profitable industry.
The ACCC refused to name the IVF clinics but Commissioner Sarah Court said a significant number had been notified of potentially illegal behaviour, and that patients had reported some doctors for making misleading claims about their chances of success during consultations.
“In a market like this, what you can often see is … a bit of a race to the bottom where one firm starts doing it and another copies it,” she said.
Were you misled by an IVF clinic? Contact [email protected]南京夜网南京桑拿
Ms Court said the ACCC reviewed the websites of Australia’s 34 IVF providers and found that some were making success rate comparisons without adequate disclosure about, or qualification of, the nature of the data used to make the claims.
She said some IVF clinics had been advertising success rates of up to 90 per cent within two cycles for women in their 30s based on their own in-house data, looking at people who had never tried treatment before. The data excluded clients who had unsuccessful cycles or who had moved clinics after failed attempts, skewing the results.
Ms Court (above) said some clinics were also using technical terms that could be misleading to consumers without further clarification or explanation. For example, she said some IVF clinics were using data on the creation of embryos in laboratories and ‘clinical pregnancies’ as success rates, rather than live birth rates.
This is despite data showing not all embryos result in pregnancies and about one in four pregnancies ends with a miscarriage. In some cases these success rate claims were accompanied by photographs of newborn babies – a decision the ACCC said was likely to be misleading.
Ms Court said given many people paying for IVF were vulnerable and desperate to have a baby, it was “particularly egregious” behaviour. However, she said because the conduct was widespread throughout the industry, the ACCC had made a strategic decision to work with providers and fire a “warning shot”, rather than enter years of legal action that might delay more honest behaviour.
“We feel like they’re squarely on notice,” Ms Court said.
A spokeswoman for Genea, one of the largest IVF providers in Australia, said it had made “small changes” to the way it illustrates its success rates on its website this year. However, she said it was not in response to the ACCC investigation, but rather “anticipation of the development of an agreed set of reporting standards”.
Thousands of Australians are paying about $5000 in out of pocket fees for single IVF cycles each year without any independent data on clinics’ success rates to help them choose a provider. Data which does not name individual clinics shows the live birth rate resulting from IVF treatment varies wildly across clinics, ranging from 4 per cent to 31 per cent.
President of the Fertility Society of Australia Professor Michael Chapman welcomed the ACCC’s warnings and said some advertising was making IVF clinics and their staff look like “used car salesmen”.
He said a new code of conduct being developed by the Fertility Society of Australia would recommend clinics only publish live birth rates per embryo transfer and cumulative pregnancy rates over time for people according to how many cycles they undertake.
Professor Chapman said the code would also recommend clinics not advertise “breakthroughs” without peer-reviewed research. He said patients should ask fertility specialists about their individual chance of success based on their age, weight, and other circumstances.
While some countries have introduced league tables for IVF success rates, Professor Chapman opposed them because they could induce clinics to reject unfavourable patients, or transfer multiple embryos to improve success rates even though the practice increases the chance of higher risk pregnancies.
Ms Court said the ACCC would continue to monitor IVF providers and prosecute them if they flout the law. Penalties for false, misleading and deceptive conduct include fines of up to $1.1 million.
She said people concerned about being misled by success rate claims could make complaints to their clinics, which may offer refunds. People can also complain to health regulators, including the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency and the Medical Board of Australia.
Mullen’s dad helps recruit Jets defender I photos Iain Fyfe at his first Jets training run.
Iain Fyfe at his first Jets training run.
Iain Fyfe at his first Jets training run.
Iain Fyfe at his first Jets training run.
Goalkeeper Pierce Clark
Goalkeeper Pierce Clark
TweetFacebook Jets training, Monday morningPictures: Marina NeilDaniel Mullen’s father helped the Newcastle Jets recruit veteran Iain Fyfe as a replacement for his injured son.
Fyfe joined the squad at training on Monday after agreeing to join Newcastle for at least six weeks as the club struggles with a cripplinginjury toll.
The 34-year-old former Sydney FC and Adelaide United centre back has played the past three seasons under Joe Mullen at South Australian Premier League club Campbelltown City.
And Jets coach Mark Jones said on Monday that Mullen senior had not hesitated inrecommending Fyfe after captain Nigel Boogaard limped off with an ankle injury against Melbourne City, becoming the fifth central defender on the club’s injury list.
“I spoke to everyone at Campbelltown, and obviously spoke to Dan’s dad, and he was very glowing in the praise of Fyfey, and he’s a good footballer, a good lad and a good communicator,” Jones said after watching the 2006 grand final winner at training.
“I thought he did well. He gives us experience. He’s been playing with Campbelltown in the South Australian NPL and did well. They won the grand final there, and he’s a decent player, good background, he’s played at the highest level, and hopefully he’ll be good for us.”
Fyfe has not played since Campbelltown won the SAPL grand final on September 10, but Jones said he had “kept himself fit” and could come into contention for a Jets debut on Sunday against the Central Coast at McDonald Jones Stadium.
“I wouldn’t rule it out, but he’d probably be better for a sort of seven- to 10-day preparation, but we’ll see how he goes,” Jones said.
Makeshift centre back Ben Kantarovski could come into consideration for the derby after resuming full training this week.
The Jets have conceded twice in each of their past four games, and all but one of those eight goals have come in the first half.
Jones was clearly frustrated after two “soft” goals left his side playing catch-up again against Melbourne City last week.
He was particular disappointed that his wide defenders did not put more pressure on Fernando Brandan and Bruce Kamau before they delivered crosses for Bruno Fornaroli to score.
“If we get to half-time [on Sunday] without conceding a goal, I’ll be extremely happy.We just have to make sure teams don’t score against us.
“We had numbers where they should be; wejust one-on-one didn’t do a job. We can put them in the right system and right shape and put them in the right areas, but if one-on-one they can’t do a job, you’re going to concede goals, and that was the most disappointing thing in all our games.
“We’ve not been caught out of shape; it’s just been individual errors, and that’s something that sort of kills you as a coach.”
Fyfe was a vocal presence at training on his first day, and Jones said he needed more talk from senior players in what he regards as a quiet, mild-mannered squad.
“His expectations are high, and hopefully that can press us to another level,” Jones said. “He’s a voice, he’s a leader. He demands the best of other players, and we need to do that.”
Youth team goalkeeper Pierce Clark is expected to return from injury this weekend as Jack Duncan’s back-up after Edgeworth’s Jim Fogarty filled that role in the past two games.
Jones said he would look for a longer-term signing in the January transfer window after the Jets lost Ben Kennedy to an Achilles injury just before the season.
Wayne Bennett has accused his England side of beating themselves against Australia and pinpointed skipper Sam Burgess as a chief culprit.
The ruthless Kangaroos punished the error-prone hosts with 38-16 win at the London Stadium to end their Four Nations campaign in front of a crowd of over 35,000, leaving Bennett in a frustrated mood after the game.
NRL stars Gaeth Widdop and Josh Hodgson both failed to find touch with penalties in the first half and Burgess was penalised twice just before half-time by English referee Robert Hicks, much to the dismay of his coach.
“The problem is our inability to continually maintain pressure… not finding the sideline on two occasions, which is pretty important in any context let alone against the best team in the world,” Bennett said.
“Then the stupid penalties we continually give away.
“Sam gives away far too many penalties – I’ll be quite candid with you.
“He does that at South Sydney as well so he needs to change his behaviour.”
Burgess said he agreed with Bennett’s comments about his indiscipline but slammed Hicks’ performance and accused him of being swayed by verbal pressure from Australia skipper Cameron Smith.
“They’re a class outfit, but I think we’re a better side than that scoreline,” Burgess said.
“I agree with Wayne, I did give two penalties away at the end of the first half and one led to two points. It’s something I have to improve on.
“Some of the calls were not good enough at all, you’ve got to put the whistle away at some point, and I’m not saying that is why we lost.
“But this is an international and there were 13 or 14 penalties in the first half.
“I don’t know what agenda he’s got there but at this level I don’t think they were penalties.
“He was being made aware of the penalty count by an Australian player and made sure it was even by halftime.”
Asked if it was Cameron Smith, Burgess responded: “Yeah, he’s a smart player.”
Australia coach Mal Meninga hailed his side’s second-half display as the Kangaroos maintained their 100 per cent record ahead of next week’s final at Anfield against New Zealand.
“I was very happy at half-time and full marks to England who I thought played extremely well and we had to to match them,” Meninga said. “I thought our second half effort was outstanding. We put the ball in the right places and at one stage we went 11 [sets]from 11 and put a lot of pressure on the English side in defence.”
Meninga brushed aside an incident late in the game where prop David Klemmer was punched by Sam Burgess during a melee.
“He’s fine, he loved it, it’s Test match footy,” he said.
“He had a smile on his face. That’s all good from our point of view.
“We don’t expect it. But it’s two teams going at each other. It was a very physical game all competitive and that is what happens sometimes.”
Meninga said aside from Sam Thaiday, who suffered a fractured eye socket that will end his tournament involvement, he’ll stick with the same squad of players for the final next Sunday (1.30am AEDT).
Cooper Cronk, rested for the win over the Kiwis in Coventry, showed his worth to the team with a sparkling performance that earned him the man of the match award.
Skipper Smith said it was one of the best performances he’d seen from his long-time Melbourne and Queensland teammate.
“He was very good, he played a very professional game today which is what we are all accustomed to,” Smith said.
ONE-WAY TRAFFIC: Australian players celebrate Josh Dugan’s try as a disappointed Josh Hodgson looks on. Picture: Getty Images
“He took a lot of good options, ran the football a fair bit and asked a few questions of their defence.
“He’s a champion of our game and champions of our game play well in the big matches and it was no difference today.”
Kerri Anne Kennerley on Sunday Night. Photo: Seven Network Kerri Anne and husband John at home. Photo: Seven Network
TV legend Kerri-Anne Kennerley has opened up on the fall that left her husband John paralysed from the neck down, during an emotional interview on Seven’s Sunday Night.
“I hate this new life to be quite frank. I hate it. It’s just awful,” she told host Melissa Doyle.
“If I could rub Aladdin’s lamp or get a magic wand, I want my old life back and I want my husband back.
“I have my husband, we’re just different now,” she said.
In March, John Kennerley slipped off a balcony verandah at a golf resort in Coffs Harbour, landing on his head and back and fracturing his C2 and C3 vertebrae.
Sunday Night’s Mike Willesee had visited the couple in hospital just weeks after the accident, where Kennerley, mascara streaming down her face, spoke of the pain of “not being able to talk to” John.
Last night’s segment showed a more hopeful couple, buoyed by John’s recovery efforts.
The 76-year-old is now able to speak, and was shown moving his right hand just enough to pat his beloved golden retriever, Digger.
“It was only about 800 millimeteres,” he told Sunday Night, publicly discussing the fall for the first time, “but I remember coming to and realising I couldn’t feel anything.”
“I couldn’t move my arms, I couldn’t move my legs. Kerri was with me within a second, and I remember saying to her, ‘I think I’m paralysed. I can’t move.’ And soon after that I fainted.”
“I pretty well have always known that he wasn’t going to get a lot of movement,” added Kerri Anne about his recovery.
“It’s just never been possible for his level of injury. But I never discussed it with him, because miracles do happen.”
In an interview with Fairfax earlier this year, Kennerley discussed her “Christmas wish to have John home”.
The episode delved further into those efforts, showing Kennerley overseeing a range of refurbishments to make the couple’s Sydney home wheelchair accessible, including ramps, widened doorways, and a lift up to their bedroom.
A glimpse of Kerri Anne accidentally slamming John’s wheelchair into a hallway wall also teased her trademark giggles.
“I need to be a physiotherapist, an occupational therapist, I have even cooked,” she laughed, while discussing the massive effort involved in now being John’s full-time carer.
“I’m starting to learn all those skills, from the slings to the medication and how to put his gloves on at night. It is pretty time consuming, and it will get more so.” CATCH-UP: “I hate this new life, it’s awful, but it’s not something we’re alone in” Kerri-Anne Kennerley #SN7https://t.co/KjtTbbypM5— sunday night (@sundaynighton7) November 13, 2016
The couple also revealed they’re looking into a groundbreaking US trial of spinal cord stimulation, with hopes to bring it to Australia.
“It’ll be what it’ll be,” Kerri Anne added.
“I’ve figured out there’s no magic wands, but there’s always hope.”